Tuesday, June 17, 2008

summer!

summer has come, bringing with it glorious longer days, cool comfortable 9:00pm evenings, holidays and time off, and of course tasks beyond my capabilities designed to stretch and bend me.

yes, TBA is here! clearly the best part of my whole year. the only thing between me and complete joy in anticipation is this class i'm supposed to teach. to put it plainly, i am not capable of teaching this class on my own. the subject is "strange stories of the bible". the objective, a very good one, is basically to teach the kids that they can open the bible to any section, no matter how random or obscure, and have it be alive to them! cool! the only problem is this subject and objective challenges me. i would like to take a class on this, not teach it. on top of that i have about 4 days to prepare for five "class periods".

overwhelmed? yep. and what's worse, when i feel overwhelmed, my motivation goes out the window and down three stories, then three miles down the road to a gun shop where it purchases a gun (using my money) and shoots itself in the proverbial head.

on the positive side, (1)this class will be over in about three weeks, and (2)this will be a good opportunity for me to learn and grow.

at the same time i'm trying to get to the point where i can go to walla walla university in the fall and i am slapped in the face by the seemingly endless "things to do" in order for this to happen.

AND, i'm planning to go backpacking with my brother for SEVENTEEN days in july and august! 17 days!!!!!! i'm super excited. but, of course, there is lots of stuff to organize for that. more learning and growing opportunities.

i'm learning that life is just one learning and growing opportunity after another...

bring it on!!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

It's true. :o) It sounds like you have an inspirational and educational summer ahead of you. Fun times! And if you have questions about anything regarding WWU, feel free to drop me a line. I know people. :o) (I work at the university.)

EMILY STAR said...

hi hi hi hi hi Schuyler. Motivation! down the road three mile?!!! You are too funny. 17 days. you can't carry that much food. you'll have to make grass salad and eat pinecones...don't do it...i tried it the other day....awful....i think it made me sick. It would have been fun to see you when you were like ONE HOUR from here. but whatev. You'll be to WWU soon and settling in. Details always come together at the end it seems...no matter how hard we try to make them come together at the beginning. Grrr. Well I need to go prepare for some gymnastics classes. Bye! ~Emily