Sunday, July 21, 2013

Two things...

Something I hope I never understand is people who steal other people's things. Like directly from another person. I mean I've stolen a spoon or two from many an unsuspecting over-priced restaurant, and I hate to admit I recently stole from stater bros. but I don't think I could understand taking something that belongs to someone else - something they bought with money they earned or somethin they were given by someone who loves them - as if it were theirs for the taking or something. As if the other person deserved to be stolen from for trusting the people around him to be decent people... I don't know. Maybe I'm being a little hypocritical, but to the person who stole my iPod:

 "I hope you enjoy those headphones! I overdrew my bank account to buy those ten dollar things. I hope you appreciate that orange color as much as me. I hope orange is your favorite color and every time you use that iPod you think about how much you like it. I hope you get angry at yourself when you drop it from your jacket pocket and put a new scratch in its pretty side, as you rub your thumb over the jagged spot wishing your rubbing could correct the gash. I hope you carefully wrap the headphones around it after each use being cautious not to pull on the cable where it plugs in. I hope you occasionally wipe all the smudges and fingerprints off of it just to admire it sitting on your bedspread before a jog. I hope you spend hours picking only the best of your favorite music to fill it with and just a little new music for when you're feeling like something new. I hope you love it... And then I hope someone STEALS IT FROM YOU, you slimy sticky-fingered son-of-a-bitch!!"

 No, I don't wish that on anyone. Ever again... i guess. I wish we could live in a world where no one possessed anything. That way nothing could be stolen - just shared. Anyway, my silverware pilfering days are over. But just so we're clear here, I write my own rules, thank you very much. And I cherish that fluid process.


 Secondly, I think I would like to take a trip somewhere more desolate real soon. Preferably the mountains. My soul has been hungering for some nourishment and my iPhone just isn't cutting it. I need a tangible reminder that all this stuff isn't necessary. All the possessions and grievances and annoyances. I don't need them, so why do I cling to them? Maybe it's because I forget that I don't need them. I get too possessive - too territorial. We're all in this together in one way or another. I would like to only be helpful to the people I come in contact with - Leave my baggage behind. I want to forgive and be forgiven. To love and be loved. I don't need a parking spot to accomplish that.

 Sincerely,

 Jacob

1 comment:

Kati said...

NOOOOOOOOO..... sad day. Should have put your name on it... :) Whats next your green Nepalese mug?
good points. I relate to those same feelings.