Wednesday, December 9, 2009

there. on my floor.

on my floor lies a single word magnet from one of those magnet poetry sets. it just lies there haphazardly. it looks up at me matter-of-factly. "human".

dead week is not accurately named. that label is grossly inaccurate. it should be called "impending death week". death and impending death are very, very different. nearly opposites, i'd say. one connotes inactivity, while the other connotes a wild mess of disorganized activity motivated heavily by fear of the dark, ominous, looming... i lost my train of thought there, i have a three final projects and two final tests to think about! what do you expect?

meanwhile


"are there apples on the table out there?" tommy shouted from the shower. "yes" i said, as if i were surprised, "there are." "bring me one, please." he said. the concept of what was being proposed began to sink in. "huh. tommy wants me to bring an apple to him while he is inside the shower." i picked up an apple and headed for the bathroom, thinking as i walked "an apple in the shower! genius!"

i hate the smell of dried drool on my pillowcase. it's unpleasant in more ways than one.

then the words came out of my mouth, "a shower in the apple! genius!"

the hair above my lip and below my nose is incredibly straight. defiantly so. while the hair lateral to the corners of my mouth is annoyingly curly. i wonder if the hairs under my nose and above my lip are jealous of the hairs near the corners of my mouth. or vice versa for that matter. one of the little curly guys might curl toward one of the big, older curly guys and say, "man! i wish i was all straight like those guys on the other side of this giant food hole!" then the big curly guy would likely respond, "ah yes, the grass is always greener on the other side. you see little one, we are designed with the purpose of catching small morsels of food from the food hole, while those tall, straight, pokey looking guys are designed to drain snot from those snot holes over yonder. you see, we're all part of the great circle of life. you have a destiny small curly. you will catch food, while they will drain snot. and together we will catch food and drain snot."
meanwhile above my lips and below my nose, one of the little straight ones would say to one of the thicker older guys, "man i sure am glad i'm tall and straight, and not all curly like those curlies way over there curling all over each other just to end up so close to where they started!" then the older one would say, "yeah."

5 comments:

TaraB said...

your brain jacob! your brain is silly and awesome!

Ry Yeo! said...

jack, you my man!

Jenny said...

Jacob I am sitting right in front of you...in the library...and this is a problem because I want to laugh out loud right now!

You are SO funny!

EMILY STAR said...

i like how tara exclaimed, "your brain jacob!" impending death and death are different....hadn't thought so much about that. good observation. ~Emily

Hillary said...

Jacob.This was pure entertainment for us!