Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the beckoning

the mountains are calling my name again. and while they're calling for me using something other than words, i've come up with a new set of words for them: "my heavenly" (i got that from a jars of clay song)

i'm about to embark on the longest hike i've ever done. 17 days, 170 miles of trail. from snoqualmie pass to the north side of lake chelan. my mother will resupply us at stevens pass which is seventy miles into it.

i have weird feelings at this point in time. there is a great sense of anticipation in a positive way combined with a negative.

my dad commented, "you won't be the same people when you come out!"  as crazy as this sounds, it's true to a degree. after all, i have been referring to this trip as epic in all my descriptions of it, and in a weird way i hope this trip will be monumental in my life. i have these dreams of shrinking! i think the truth is that deep down i hope that the comment by my dad turns out to be truer than he or i had imagined.

something eerie beckons me from those mountains. i can't quite grasp it.

No comments: